• Last Updated on Sep 10, 2018

The third highest peak on the globe, Mount Kanchenjunga is famous among travel seekers. As per the government policy in Nepal, trekkers require a permit if the area of the trek is an open border or have a connection with another country. Since the Kanchenjunga trekking area shares its border with India and China, a Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is required for it. We found many people getting stuck with the permits. If you are planning for the Kanchenjunga trekking area, don’t forget to get the following permits.

Table of Contents

Kanchenjunga Trekking Permit

Since the process takes about two hours, applying for special restricted area permits is entangled. There is no arrangement for booking ahead of time. There must be at least two trekkers for getting the permit and the process must be forwarded by an administration-approved guide. Hence Kanchenjunga trekking area must be arranged by a fully well-organized agency of the concerned area with a license holder guide. The expense for Kanchenjunga restricted area entry permit is presently set at USD 10 for every individual for each week. Below are four village development committees that are declared restricted in the Kanchenjunga trekking area.

  • Yamphuding village
  • Lelep village
  • Paping village
  • Olangchungola village

Kanchenjunga Conservation Area Entry Permit (KCAP)

Just below Mount Kanchenjunga, lies the Kanchanjunga Conservation area. The area is situated in northeastern Nepal in Taplejung District and is bordered by the Tibet Autonomous region by both China and India. During the spring season, the area has an excellent view of Rhododendron, Juniper, Snow leopard, Himalayan bear, Red Panda, and many more creatures. The free Kanchenjunga conservation area entry permit is currently set at NRs 2000 per person.

Kanchenjunga base camp trek

Frequently Asked Questions

1: Do I need a TIMS card for Kanchenjunga Circuit Trek?

No, it’s not. TIMS card is not required when you hold the restricted permit. But, if you are planning to travel to other destination places after the Kanchenjunga trekking like Everest, Manaslu, and Annapurna, a TIMS card is required.

2: What are the necessary documents to obtain the permit?

The application process is complicated. So, a registered Nepali company will do it for you. The following documents are required to obtain the permit:

  • Original passport with a valid visa from Nepal
  • A group of at least two people
  • Photos for online submission which you can email to your travel agency.

3: Is it possible to get a permit for a solo trekker?

It depends on the company. We can issue the ghost permit which means there will be two permits and you will only go on the trek. The guide will say that your partner got ill and return, at the permit check post which will not be a problem. Planning for a solo trekking? Let us know about it.

4: How long does it take to issue the permit?

Normally, it takes 1 to 2 hours to issue the Kanchenjunga trekking  permit during the peak season

Dipak Sapkota

Namaste This is me Dipak Sapkota Born in the mid-west part of Nepal called Dhading district Ganesh Himal region. I want to personally thank you for visiting my blog. My experience includes over 15 years of traveling and trekking in Nepal. I want to share my experience with you and help you to accomplish your goals. As an Adventure, I understand the stress and excitement that coincide with travel.

 I truly know each and every person is different and their unique desires. so please let me know about your adventure plan what you have always dreamed of. Please feel free to contact me personally at any time, Regarding any questions, you may have or if you simply want to touch base about a trek and adventure in Nepal. Also if you are interested to know more about my trekking tour, and adventure journey follow me on  Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Send Us A Message